3 Simple Ways On How To Make Store Bought Frosting Better
Does anyone hate cakes? I don’t think so. I have never met a fellow anywhere who hates cakes. This magical serving is the perfect way of saying, you are special. Birthdays and weddings are never exclusive until everyone gets a share of the ‘cake.'
Frosting (the sugary coating on cakes, but you know that already, right?) is the perfect way of cranking up the taste of cakes. Frosting can either be bought in stores or homemade. Homemade frosting is preferred by most of us due to its superior taste.
Sometimes it is not strange to find yourself in a tight situation where buying frosting from the store is the only option that you have got.This does not mean that it should not taste any different from the one you would make yourself at home.
There are several ways on how to make store bought frosting better.Wondering how?Well, this article intends to give you an in-depth analysis of some of the best ways that you can use to turn the store-bought frosting into a sumptuous topping for your cake.
What You Need To Make Your Store-Bought Frosting Taste Homemade.
For taste, nothing quite does it like sugar. It can turn a less tasty food into a brilliant delicacy. Besides the taste, sugar also helps to thicken the frosting you have just bought in case it is too soft.
There are numerous brands of sugar out there that you can use. Powdered sugar is most preferred for this kind of baking.
Methods Of Making Store Bought Frosting Better.
Now that you have everything you might need to improve on your cake frosting, let us get started on some of the ways of doing it. You are going to need your wits too for the best results. To make the frosting taste homemade, you need to improve the:
Method 1: Improving The Consistency
Consistency refers to how thick or thin the frosting is.Too thin or too thick frost is not ideal for a frosting.
- Transfer the quantity of frosting you need into the clean glass bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar by sprinkling it on to the frosting.
- Stir the mixture for about a minute (you can use the mixer you had chosen earlier on). Adding sugar thickens the mixture.
- Constantly dip the spatula into the mixture to check for the desired uniformity. Stop when you are satisfied.
- If it isn’t, then add ½ teaspoon of sugar at a time and mix until the desired consistency is reached.
- If it becomes too thick, you can add ½ teaspoonful of water to thin it.
Method 2: Improving The Color
Do you want to make the frosting “prettier”?Well, you can achieve this by adding some food color to it. You would use various colors to correspond to the occasion for which the cake is for. If it is for your daily cake needs, then experimenting with different colors can be fun too.
- Scoop the store-bought frosting into the clean glass bowl.There is no restriction on the amount of frosting to use. If it is enough for you or can serve the purpose, then use it. Ensure it is consistent by manually mixing it with the spatula.
- Add 2-3 drops of the food coloring to the frosting in the bowl. You can use a few drops of other food colors with a different color to result in a secondary color that you can think of. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's specifications on how to mix different food colors. Some may not be compatible with others.
- Mix the color and the paste using the spatula until the coloration is uniform.
Method 3: Improving On The Taste
A real frosting must have a taste to go with it. The store bought frosting could be too sugary or with a little sugar. Too much sugar is unhealthy for you. Too little of it isn’t great either. It is the purpose of cream cheese and fruit extracts to better the taste.
- If the cream has hardened, place it on the counter so that it softens.
- Cut out about 8 Oz of the cheese and transfer it to the bowl. Thoroughly mix it with the frosting
- For more flavor, add 2-3 drops of the fruit extracts to the paste and mix thoroughly.
There are additional flavors that you can give your frosting. You can use strawberry fruits and even crushed chocolate biscuits. Here is where your wits come in. As you experiment once in a while, try out different flavors.
You have now bettered the taste and consistency. It is now time to apply it on the cake. There are various techniques that you can use. This also creates a pattern on the cake if you so wish to. When properly done, the cake may look like it has been made by a professional.
- Star piping techniques: The piping has a star tip from where the frosting exists.
- Swirling techniques: This serves to decorate the cake as you so wish.
- Sprinkling techniques: This is used to add more flare to the cakes. Colorful sprinkles on the frosting add more beauty to the cakes and cupcakes.
Extra Frosting Tip
If you want your store-bought frosting to double in size, whip it in the electric mixer. As the air gets into the mixture, the frosting expands. As soon as it doubles in size, stop the whipping. Lumps would otherwise form in the frosting.
Bettering your store-bought frosting is a fun experience for any baking enthusiast. Even for newbies, the feeling of making a more delicious frosting is always unimaginable.If you wish to know how to make store bought frosting better, then the steps to be followed are straightforward. The requirements are basic and readily available.
Better yet, you can as well prepare your homemade frosting instead of buying one from the stores.When you use quality ingredients in the right quantities, you can always be sure to produce fantastic results. It is my hope you have enjoyed reading this article and plans to use these tips in your next baking.