Although this kitchen appliance is hard to find in the most home, it is still somewhat useful for people who need to upgrade their dull old knives in a quick manner. Best electric knife sharpeners are frequently used by chefs, but we still see it being used for domestic purposes.
Why Do You Need To Get Rid Of Old Knives?
And if we look at it correctly, having a dull knife can be the worst thing you can absolutely have it a fast-paced professional environment. Electric knife sharpeners are simply the only solution to this problem, since not only do they do the job very quickly, they also do it effectively.
In the following parts, we are going to explore exactly what best electric knife sharpeners are which aspects make them good. Curious? Then keep reading on!
Chief Features To Look For When Buying The Best Electric Knife Sharpener
Just as in any product, there are always characteristics and features that will determine how much money you need to spend. Apart from that, knowing these characteristics will also help you in determining what you need in an electric knife sharpener.
In this section, we are going to name some of the most important features that you need to look out for when buying a high-quality knife sharpener. Now let’s find out, shall we?
Knife Blade Slots
The next step when it comes to finding out which sharpener is the best is to determine how many slots you need. Cheap ones will usually come with only one or two blade slots, which is alright if it fits your needs.
But on the other hand, you also have sharpeners that can have 5 slots for the blades. But why is this important? Well, basically you can have multiple stages of sharpening where each stage will do a different process. One stage might grind the blade itself on a hard surface while the other stage might smooth it or polish it.
Another aspect of this is that some slots may offer you different angles of sharpening. This is extremely good if you plan on using multiple kinds of knives that may need different angles to do the job correctly.
This characteristic is probably the most important one as it decides how many features the sharpener will have. Bigger sharpeners might offer you more slots, more features and more options for specialized sorts of knives.
On the other hand, you also have small and compact sharpeners that can be as small as your toaster. This can be a pretty good portable form factor for people who don’t seek that much in an electronic knife sharpener.
Design Of The Knife
The ergonomic design of the knife itself makes it a useful product for every kitchen. With the compact designing of the sharpener you can easily make the best use of the product.
A well-designed electric knife sharpener is capable enough to keep your cutlery in the best condition. Moreover, a beautiful knife sharpener easily fits into an environment.
A sleek designed electric knife sharpener enhances the look of your kitchen and its tools. This is more important for household owners to keep their tools up to date and maintain them on a regular basis.
As a buyer, you should always look for a knife sharpener that does the job well without taking much time. Make sure that the knife incorporates both manual and mechanical sharpening elements. The knife should deliver fast and precise sharpening results on the both sides of the knife.
A Guide To Sharpening Angles
Sharpening angles are very important when it comes to electric knife sharpers as they determine which kind of knife you should use. The budget oriented knife sharpeners will be limited to only one type of angle or maybe a couple.
While on the other hand, premium priced knife sharpeners will offer you a variety of different angles, with some even being able to be custom set by the user. This will come in handy for people who might end up using a sharpener professionally.
The main idea is to split the sharpeners into two different angle groups, these ones are often standardized in most products:
- 15-degree sharpening angle
- 20-degree sharpening angle
Most sharpeners that have the premium quality will either offer you 20 or 15 degrees, with a total of around 40 degrees inclusive. The main point to make a difference of is that the 15-degree angle system is mainly used for Japanese types of knives.
On the other hand, the 20-degree electronic knife sharpeners are used for both European and North American style knives. When buying a sharpener be 100% sure that the manufacturer reports the exact angles. If this kind of information isn’t available we don’t recommend you to buy it.
Some of the models that we mention in the review section are going to have a custom angle which can be set by the user itself, allowing him to specialize the sharpening phase for each individual knife he owns.
Top 5 Electric Knife Sharpeners – What We Recommend
You can find out best electric knife sharpeners that are the most popular on the market. But aside from the popularity, you will also see which products we recommend! We have chosen the sharpeners based on their usability and customer reviews.
The materials used on the interlocking wheels are made out of ceramics and diamonds. They also self-align the blade.
The angle that is used can be completely adjusted by the user, making it more versatile with a lot of different knives. This way you don’t have to worry about ruining your premium tier knife with a bad sharpener.
- Angles of this ergonomic knife sharpener can range from 10 to 30 degrees
- The wheels that interlock the knife sharpen both sides of knives without leaving scratches
- Can be used to refurbish almost all types of knives
- Ergonomic design with soft hand grip that doesn’t slip
- Sharpening system prevents the blade from getting damaged
- Double-sided sharpening allows it far greater speed
- Having manual sharpening features, it proves to be an easy to use tool
- Can’t be used on ceramic blades
This electric knife sharpener from Chef’s choice offers a well-designed build quality which offers you three sharpening stages in total. While the first and second stage is filled with diamond abrasive which helps you with sharpening the knife itself, stage three is a honing and polishing stage.
Stage one and two remain to be for regular use, while the third stage will only be used for extreme cases where the knife is very dull. Other than that, you can use a variety of different kinds of knives, gourmet knives, butcher knives, hunting knives, you name it.
- Warranty for three years
- Three stage system with diamond abrasives in stages 1 and 2. The third stage includes hair splitting and highly durable edges.
- Great for every type of knives such as Gourmet, Sporting, Butcher type, and serrated knives.
- 100% durable diamond abrasive
- All stages are really efficient and give ever-lasting sharpened razors.
- It is suitable for sharpening as well as polishing knives.
- These worth the money sharpeners have longer time warranty
- Angles reportedly do not work with Japanese knives
- Not recommended for high-end knives, the sharpening stages model the knife and change it a bit
Now we will move onto something far smaller and budget friendly, presenting the Presto EverSharp. This sharpener is very easy to use and it provides you a two-stage sharpening system. The system itself also automatically depends on the angle depending on the knife used.
Apart from that, even though it is completely manufactured in China, it does provide you a product built in order to support North American Electrical Standards. At a price category such as this one, you can’t really find anything better.
- Sharpening system with two stages makes it versatile.
- Made of plastic material reduces the havoc to a large extent
- Gives razor sharp blades to your knife
- Automatically angle changing as and when required
- Same sapphirine sharpening wheels are used such as in other high-end models
- The sharpening itself is done automatically and adjustable
- Budget friendly
- Flexible and small enough to fit anywhere
- It might get too loud when you sharp your knife
- Can’t recommend it for higher tier knives
Wusthof offers you an electric knife sharper at perhaps a high price, but with premium quality as well. It is comprised out of three stages that can meet all your needs when it comes to sharpening the knife. It has a very sharp angle which matches the premium line of Wusthof premium sharpers.
Stage one and two contain both diamond abrasive, the first stage is for dull knives while the second one is great at refining the edges and smoothing them out. It is also used later on to polish and hone the blade.
- 3 sharpening stages of sharpening completely dull and non-working knives
- Stages are filled with diamond abrasive that hones and sharpens edges of knives
- Neutral gray and silver case design
- It can sharpen down to 14 degrees
- Premium Wusthof quality at a lesser price
- The sharpening stages works extremely well on various types of knives
- Highly suitable for small pocket knives
- Angle might be too sharp for hunting type knives
- Unsuitable for Japanese style Santuko knives
- Customers reported scratches on knife after use
This is another great pick from Chef’s choice which offers a two-stage sharpening system for a durable blade with long lasting edges. Both stages contain diamond abrasive which helps with the honing of the blade as well as the smoothing phase.
This product can be even used on some premium grade knives, given that this sharpener never scratches or damages knives in any other way. Angle modes of both 15 and 20 degrees can be used, meaning that both Japanese and European/American knives can be used.
- Two-stage sharpening system
- Multiple angle settings
- Safe for all quality types
- Diamond abrasive
- High-quality at a budget friendly price
- Two stages are perfect enough for basic maintained
- It does the job really quick
- Can’t be used on serrated knives
- Customers reported scratches
Now that you both know which aspects of best electric knife sharpeners are important and which ones are the best, you can finally order one! We hope that you have researched enough to know which choice is ideal for your needs. Apart from that we also wish that you know a lot more on not just how it functions, but how will you use it as well.
But if we were to make a quick summary of the reviews section and assign first place to just a single product, we think that it would be very hard to do. Simply put, at a $100 price point it is really hard to beat out the competition.
But we have to say that according to our own opinion, we have to recommend Smith’s electric knife sharper just because of all the features you have and adjustments you can make. The ergonomic and stable design paired with a custom set angle button is truly something that makes it worth it.