Seafood has always been a darling to many. In most cases, it is saved for only special occasions. Probably you have been given the responsibility to make arrangements for the team building day at work, and you want to give your colleagues the thrill of seafood.
Aside from the normal oysters and shrimp, you could give scallops a try. Its versatility will allow you to make a variety of dishes. So, what do scallops taste like? Read on and get to know how these tasty sea creatures taste like.This way you can be sure that you will not end up disappointing your guests.
What Are Scallops?
Probably you only hear of scallops, and you barely have a clue on what they are. Scallops resemble tiny fish which are squishy white in nature. This is their appearance when they are ready to make a meal. While at sea, they are tiny sea creatures with shells which are hinged.
Their size is about 9 inches, but there are some other species which are smaller while others are longer than the stated 9 inches. If you enjoy a scallop delicacy, you can find them in the seas all over the world.
Preparing the scallops for cooking is quite a cumbersome process in which all the steps matter. Only the abductor muscle is eaten. The abductor muscle is that part which opens and closes the valves of the shell.
What do Scallops Taste Like?
Describing the taste of any kind of seafood has always been difficult. However tricky it is, I will describe what the taste is like to me and this way you can have a vague idea of what you should expect.
Their taste has more of that common taste of most seafood which is fresh and has a strong saltwater smell. The only difference is that they have a certain distinct taste of a fatty and yummy piece of yam.
The texture of scallops is slightly chewy and a little tender. Generally, scallops are tasty, and that’s the reason why you will hear most people calling them the ‘the sea candy.’ From that description, I bet you already want to have a bite of scallops.
How to prepare scallops? Watch this video:
What Are The Best Ingredients for Scallop?
Butter and lemon together will give your scallop a great taste. The feeling can be rather silky and somehow rich. Butter gives the scallop sauce a thick consistency.
Tips to Help You Choose Great Scallops for Your Meal
- Choose scallops with the appearance of a lump. The hold in shape shows that they are still fresh.
- Look out for the saltwater smell. Scallops with a strong saltwater smell are also evidently fresh.
- If the scallops have a pinkish or orange appearance, it is also an indicator that they are fresh and still nutritious.
- For the perfect scallop meal, choose the scallops with the size U10. This is the perfect size that will bring out the best out of your meal.
- If you decide to buy scallops which have already been removed from their shell, pick those with a shiny and bright white appearance.
Simple Scallop Recipe – How to Cook Sauté Scallops
- Sea scallops
- White wine
- Cooking oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Roasted garlic
- Sea salt
- Fresh pepper
- Add oil to the sauté pan and let it get hot.
- Place the sea scallops into the hot oiland let them cook until they turn golden brown. Keep turning so that they can cook uniformly. The top should turn out to be crispy. That way you can be sure that they are ready. You can cook them to the medium extent or all the way through. Once your scallops are ready, set them aside and make some sauce which will go perfectly with the scallops.
- Make use of the crispy bits left on the pan once you remove the scallops to make your sauce. The brown bits have the full flavor.
- Remove the pan from the fire and add some white wine to deglaze the pan. This will help in preventing setting the place on fire due to the alcohol content in wine.
- Set the pan to heat up again and bring it to boil.
- Add the other ingredients: the herbs, parsley, a drop of roasted garlic, chives and some freshly squeezed lemon juice. Roasted garlic will work best since it is sweeter and already cooked.
- Season your sauce with pepper and sea salt.
- At the final stage, add enough butter to make your sauce thick. Do not reheat it. Instead, keep stirring until the butter fully dissolves.
- Serve your scallops which are still hot and the sauce and enjoy your scallop delicacy.
Watch this video:
Enjoy your Scallop Delicacy
Preparing a scallop meal is simple, and I see no reason why you should not take a chance to enjoy a scallop meal. So, what do scallops taste like? Their taste can simply be described as mild and not too fishy. The best thing about scallops is that you can eat them raw.
You can also choose to make use of our recipe to make a scallop delicacy. If you dedicate yourself to cook them, do not let them overcook as they will turn out to have a rather rubbery taste. If cooked, right they will turn out to be tender and moist.
Feel free to leave a comment on the article. You can even share with us your recipe if you have one that is different from ours. Kindly share the article with other cooking enthusiasts and help them get a new recipe. Make inquiries where you need clarification, and we will be glad to offer assistance where we can.